We usually talk about depression and other forms of mental illnesses. But you will be surprised to know that anxiety disorder is at the top list of mental disorders. Mental health is as important as physical health, but we don’t take it seriously. It’s because most of us aren’t aware of these mental health problems!
According to a survey, around 4% of the world’s population suffers from an anxiety disorder. This spread is between 2.5 % to 6.5% of the population per country. Stats for anxiety disorders (3.88%) are higher in comparison to depression(3.77%) and other forms of the disease.
In this article, you will get to know about what anxiety disorder is, its signs and symptoms, its causes and natural remedies to get rid of it, and much more details about a critical mental health problem
What is Anxiety Disorder?
Anxiety is a form of mental illness in which the person feels sudden and excessive fear for no reason. In this mental illness, there is extreme restlessness, and mental health is at stake. One should not confuse anxiety disorder with nervousness which is a body’s normal response to stress. It is normal to feel anxious during such circumstances. But feeling anxious without any reason for such a long period might be an alarm for your mental health!
How to know if I have anxiety?
Here are some signs and symptoms of anxiety to know whether you are suffering from an anxiety disorder or not, although they vary from person to person and the type of disorder.
Following are some obvious and common signs and symptoms of anxiety.
- There is a sudden fear and thinking like I am dying.
- One may doubt own sanity and feel lost.
- A faster heartbeat and increased muscle tension
- Restlessness is a common symptom.
- There is a constant fear of suffering from another anxiety attack.
- Irritability and anger.
- Mental disturbance.
- Unable to focus and concentrate because of restlessness.
- Unable to perform daily tasks properly.Stress over useless and minor issues.
- Unable to socialize properly because of unknown fear.
- Sometimes feeling suffocation and increased breathing.
What Causes Anxiety?
There is no single cause of anxiety. It occurs due to a variety of factors, some of which are listed below:
Stress is the first and the most significant contributing factor in causing not only anxiety but also mental disorders.
Hormonal imbalances lead to severe health problems. Anxiety is among those health problems. There is excessive secretion of stress hormones, cortisol, and adrenaline in this type of illness.
Family history is responsible for such mental health problems. Parents possessing infected genes can pass them on to their young ones.
Other Physical and Mental Health problems
Other physical diseases such as stroke, heart attack, and kidney disorders can be the root cause. People suffering from depression might also develop severe anxiety leading to other mental health issues.
Related: How to know If you have depression?
How to get rid of anxiety?
If you are suffering, then the first you need to do is consult a psychologist or therapist. The best way to cure is through proper treatment and medication.
There are some suggestions and health hacks that I would strongly recommend.
- First of all, keep checking you’re on sleep. Sleep properly because sleeplessness adversely affects your health by disrupting your endocrine system.
- Eat fresh and healthy food, which includes fruits and vegetables.
- Maintain proper weight
- Exercise regularly but not excessively.
- Drink fresh juices and water in the required amounts.
- Include dry fruits in your diet to get Omega 3.
Don’t take your mental health lightly. Take care of your mental health along with your physical health. As Thales( pre-Socratic Greek philosopher) once said, “A sound mind in a sound body.”